Prosthodontics in Great Neck, NY
What Is A Prosthodontist?
Prosthodontists diagnose and plan treatment for patients with more complex dental issues and needs. They specialize in restoring damaged and missing teeth with prosthetics including dental implants, dentures, bridges and veneers.
What are My Options for Dental Appliances?
If you are missing teeth, you’ve probably thought about dentures or partials. You've also probably wondered, "What might be best for my mouth?". Thanks to modern dental techniques and high-tech materials, there are now state-of-the-art dental appliances to choose from. You shouldn’t make the decision alone- get the help of Dr. Heisler, our prosthodontist at Elite Dental Spa in Great Neck, NY, and come in for a consultation. Dr. Heisler can discuss specialized prosthodontic options with you including:
- Removable partial dentures-designed to replace a few teeth in an arch; removable partials, as they are called, are made of plastic and attached to a metal framework, which attaches to the opposing teeth. Sometimes the partials have a metal clasp attachment, or a precision attachment, which is a bit more natural looking.
- Overdentures-designed to fit over any existing tooth roots you can retain, which serve as support for the overdenture. The advantage of an overdenture is that it will help to preserve your jawbone, which makes your face look younger. You can also use dental implants as support for an overdenture instead of tooth roots.
- Bar overdentures- a denture that is designed to fit over a titanium bar that is held in with implants. The advantages of a bar overdenture are a very sturdy fit, very little movement, and greater comfort. Bar overdentures are a great choice for people who have difficulty holding a denture in.
- Implant dentures (hybrids)- designed to replace whole arches of teeth and be supported only by implants. These dentures are lifelike, cover the smallest areas of your mouth, and because they are held by implants, they do not move when you talk or chew for maximum confidence. These are typically supported by 4 or more implants.
- Conventional dentures-designed to replace all the teeth in an arch, either upper or lower or both arches. Conventional dentures are made after you have been missing your teeth for a period of 6 months or more.
- Immediate dentures-are designed to replace all teeth in an arch, but the denture is placed immediately after teeth are removed, so you don’t have to go about your life without teeth. As your tissue heals, the immediate denture will need to be adjusted, and after your tissue has healed completely, you will receive a conventional denture to wear.
Whichever prosthodontic option you choose, your appliance will help you regain your ability to chew the foods you love, and provide you with increased self-esteem. You want to go through life looking and feeling your best, and that includes your teeth. So give Dr. Heisler at Elite Dental Spa in Great Neck, NY a call and start on the road to a new you with prosthodontics.